Palliative Care Services
"You made a very difficult and sad time a little easier. Thank you for respecting our wishes. As we continue in our healing process, we will rejoice knowing others in our situation will receive such compassionate and sincere service."
– From a letter sent by the family of a Palliative Care patient
When a loved one is facing a serious illness and no cure is possible or desired, you can find comfort and direction from the Palliative Care staff at Saint John Hospital, Providence Medical Center and Providence Place.
Our Palliative Care program has a gentle approach to chronic illness and end-of-life care gives patients choices in their own care. We uphold their dignity and help them find meaning in life.
Helping Healing to Occur When A Cure Isn't Possible
We understand the many types of suffering experienced by seriously ill patients and their families. Our interdisciplinary approach to your loved one's care focuses on:
- Relieving pain and managing symptoms
- Improving quality of life
- Assisting in challenging end-of-life issues
Once an attending physician refers a loved one to Palliative Care, we meet with the patient and family members to discuss the patient's medical condition and treatment goals. We'll spend a great deal of time answering your questions, alleviating fears and helping you understand what is happening.
What Sets Us Apart
One key factor that sets the Providence Saint John Palliative Care program apart from others in the region is its team approach. You'll benefit from the expertise of:
- Nurses certified in providing end-of-life care.
- A chaplain to focus on any spiritual issues.
- Health professionals to address your specific needs. These might include a psychologist, pharmacist, dietitian, occupational therapist and case manager.
You'll find peace of mind from the caring and compassionate staff at Providence, Saint John and Providence Place. For more information on Palliative Care, call 913-680-6000, ext. 4660.